I frequently receive questions in both my Southlake and Fort Worth offices on new and emerging brand names and technology. It is difficult for plastic surgeons, let alone, the general public to keep up with the industry. So I am starting this page as a log of emerging technologies. Feel free to comment or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for unlisted products that I can add here.
I have organized the following brand names under their generic technologies. Similar to brand name prescription drugs, many of the new technologies utilize technology that has been around for a period of time, yet they put their brand names on the devices (for marketing purposes, of course).
Fat Reduction and Collagen Tightening Devices (Grouped by Technology)
Ultrasound Skin Tightening – Uses sound energy to target tissues below the surface of the skin, which causes disruption of collagen and leads to tightening of tissues below the surface of the skin.
- Ultherapy (Manufactured by Ultherapy, Inc, FDA approved in 2012, Indicated for brow, neck and submental tightening, as well as decolletage, RealSelf rating: 65%)
- Liposonix (Manufactured by Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc, FDA approved in 2011 for fat reduction of the flanks, abdomen, RealSelf rating: 50%)
Cryolipolysis – Controlled cooling to near-freezing temperatures to destroy fat cells without damaging skin.
- CoolScupting – (Manufactured by Zeltiq aesthetics, FDA approved in 2010 for fat reduction for flanks, abdomen, and submentum. RealSelf rating: 83%)
Radiofrequency Skin Tightening – Uses electromagnetic energy to heat tissues.
- Thermage (Manufactured by Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc, FDA approved in 2006 for periobital (around the eyes) skin tightening. RealSelf rating: 42%)
- Venus Freeze (Manufactured by Venus Concepts, FDA approved in 2012 for treatment of facial rhytids and skin tightening, RealSelf rating 35%)
- ThermiTight (Manufactured by Thermi, an Almirall company, FDA approved in 2012 for treatment of fat of submental area (Needs verification), RealSelf rating 82%)
- Pelleve (Manufactured by Cynosure, Inc, FDA approved in 2009 for mild to moderate facial wrinkles, RealSelf rating 100% on 6 ratings)
- Fractora (Manufactured by Invasix, Inc, FDA approved 2011 for fine lines and wrinkles, RealSelf rating 77%)
- eMatrix RF (Manufactured by Syneron, Inc, FDA approved 2010 for fine lines and wrinkles, RealSelf rating 85% on 5 ratings)
Radiofrequency Microneedling Devices – Combines radiofrequency heat and microneedling, to deliver heat to deeper layers of the skin, while also providing the increased collagen from microneedling techniques.
- PenXEL (Manufactured by Rohrer Aesthetics, FDA Approval pending)
- Intensif (Manufactured by Endymed, FDA Approval unknown at this time)
Noninvasive Laser Fat Reduction (Laser Lipolysis) – Uses laser light to heat and reduce fat.
- SculpSure (Manufactured by Cynosure, FDA approved in 2015 for noninvasive laser lipolysis of flanks and abdomen, RealSelf rating 76%)
- Smart Lipo (Manufactured by Cynosure, FDA approved in 2007 for laser destruction of fat, Uses Nd:Yag 1064nm laser technology, RealSelf rating 86%)
- Cellulaze (Manufactured by Cynosure, FDA approved in 2012 for laser treatment of cellulite, Uses Nd:Yag 1440nm laser technology, RealSelf rating 55%)
Laser Skin Rejuvenation
- Laser Genesis (Manufactured by Cutera, FDA approved for fine lines and skin discolorations, Uses Nd:YAG 1064nm laser, RealSelf rating 70%)
- Fraxel Re:pair (Manufactured by Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc, FDA approved for fine lines and wrinkles, acne scarring, and discolorations, CO2 laser technology, RealSelf rating: 69%)
- Fraxel Re:store Duel (Manufactured by Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc, FDA approved for fine lines, wrinkles, discolorations, Combined Diode 1550nm and Thulium 1927nm wavelengths. RealSelf rating 73%.)
- Clear & Brilliant (Manufactured by Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc, FDA approved for improvement in skin discoloration, Diode laser 808nm technology, RealSelf rating 81%)
- Pixel CO2 Laser (Manufactured by Alma Lasers, Uses fractionated CO2 technology, FDA approved for dermatologic conditions requiring ablation, including skin, RealSelf rating 76%)
Any products I forgot to mention? Let me know email@example.com